Here you will find tales of voyages past and present on our trusty Pacific Seacraft Dana 24, "Sockdolager," and our Bigfoot29 powerboat, "Raven," from Port Townsend, Washington, USA. In 2009 we sailed north from Puget Sound up the west coast of Vancouver Island to the Queen Charlotte Islands (now called Haida Gwaii.) In 2010 we went back to the west coast of Vancouver Island. In July 2011 we left the Northwest, sailed to Mexico, and in March 2012 we crossed the Pacific to French Polynesia, then on to the Cooks, Niue and Tonga. We spent several months in New Zealand, and in May 2013 loaded Sockdolager (and ourselves) on a container ship for San Francisco. In June and July 2013 we sailed north along the California, Oregon and Washington coasts, and in August we arrived home. In October 2016, Sockdolager found new owners, and we began cruising on Raven, a unique wooden 29' powerboat. In 2018 we cruised up to Glacier Bay, Alaska, and back. But in 2024 we had the chance to buy Sockdolager back (we missed her), so we sold Raven. We hope you enjoy reading about our adventures as much as we enjoy having them. (And there will be more.)



Sunday, August 19, 2012

Do Coincidences Exist?



Aitutaki, Cook Islands:  Still here, still loving it.

Do coincidences exist?  Because if the adage “There are no coincidences” is true, then I’d better start humming the theme to the Twilight Zone.  It started back in California, when I (Karen) visited an old high school friend named Peggy, who happened to mention that she had taught school with Sue, another hometown friend with whom I had lost touch over the years.  Peggy gave me a school email address for Sue, and I wrote her a quick note. I remember singing at Sue and Jim’s (different Jim) wedding some 35 years ago, and was delighted to hear back and learn both are still happily together.  Sue, Jim and another person and I were best buds, and I still smile at the utterly undignified, silly lengths we were all willing to go to for a laugh.  Wise guys, this is for you:


Fast forward to more recent times.

Just before we left Bora Bora for the Cook Islands, a surprise email arrived from one of my former 7th grade science students, a kid with a memorable name and an even more memorable (read:  delightful) personality.  He had recently found one of my articles on the internet while researching something unrelated to sailing, and asked in the comments section if it was me, his old science teacher from the mid-1970s.  I wrote him back of course, delighted at the connection, and received a wonderful note back.  He is now searching for the two other members of the group of mischief-makers with whom he hung out, who made me laugh every day, and I hope he finds them.  It would give me great pleasure to remind them about the time one of them placed a beaker of water on a roaring bunsen burner... a plastic beaker.  Oh yeah, you never smelled such a stink.

At the same exact time my former student contacts me, another nice email arrives from someone who signs himself or herself only “d” with an email address that indicates what kind of boat he/she has or had.  My first reaction to this email was to say dagnabit, why don’t these people who write to us or post on the blog disclose their full blankety-blank names, huh?  Jeez, we’re not in the witness protection program or anything.   (We get a lot of emails and blog comments.)  So I forgot about “d” until a couple of days later, when at 2 am on watch (my best mulling time) I thought, waaaaait just a minute…  THAT type of boat?  d?  Been following the blog for a couple of months?  That wasn’t long after Sue and I got back in touch, hmmm.  Yep, turns out this ‘d’ happened to be The Other Best Bud with Sue and Jim, and, I learned later, he (Don) had just gotten back in touch with them after 35 years... this dates back to the exact same time I was teaching science to my mischief-makers.

Stay with me, it gets even better.  At the same time the other two emails arrive, another email comes in from someone I don’t know, but who once sailed aboard the JN Carter, a wooden, engineless, 66-foot bugeye schooner I captained shortly after leaving teaching in 1981.  Were you the captain, he wanted to know.  He was looking for information on the Carter.  Yes, I said, amazed.  So he sent me the photos below.  I don't know how he found me, but I'm delighted and amazed, especially with the timing.

Here’s the Carter with a small group aboard, in New Haven Connecticut where she was based at Schooner, Incorporated’s docks.  Schooner, Inc was at time in its infancy but had big dreams, and Peter Neill, who later ran the South Street Seaport Museum in New York, was her executive director.  Oddly, the Carter and her predecessor, a lovely Alden schooner, aren’t mentioned on Schooner Inc’s web site.  The woman with her back to the camera looks a lot like I did at the time, but probably isn’t me because she seems much taller than me.

Photo by Victor Peregolise Sr.

Here’s the Carter coming into New Haven’s inner harbor after a day of teaching, doing oceanographic research, and sailing.

Photo by Victor Peregolise Sr.

I have lots more photos of the Carter, but they’re packed away in storage while we voyage.  And there are other lives intersecting with the old JN Carter days, but I’ve been in touch with those dear friends for a long time.  Big affectionate hugs and hellos to Jane, Bill, Keith, and Colin!

This leads me to wonder how, scattered to the four winds after 35 years, these lives have managed to intersect again… at almost the same time?  The circularity makes my head spin, and it’s good to be back in touch.

Which also brings me to ask a favor.  If anyone else out there has information on the JN Carter, whose photo you can still see to this day on the front of cans of Penetrol, a marine paint and varnish conditioner available in most ship’s chandleries, would you please contact me with what you might know about her?  I’d love to know what happened to her, and if she’s still sailing.  And if any of you sailed aboard her, tell me your stories!  I’m writing a much longer piece, perhaps book length or perhaps not, on what it was like to be the second woman captain in New England at a time when women breaking into fields dominated by men were regarded as real oddities.  Your stories would enhance not just the memories, but also the enjoyment.  You can contact us at karenandjimsexcellentadventure followed by the symbol for “at” followed by gmail dot com.

Coincidences?  Confluences?  Whatever you call them, when they’re like these they’re wonderful.  Do you believe in coincidences?



4 comments:

  1. What a great story! Sometimes we wonder what powers the universe has! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! I am constantly amazed by how small the world really is at times.

    One of the most recent of coincidences: After I decided to build my little sailboat, I ran out and bought a boat building book by George Buehler. Charmed by his wit and salty designs, I decided to check out his webpage. Well, there was a boat on the very front of his site, built by some guy named Dan.

    Turns out, I recognized that boat. That Dan was the very same Dan that married my mother's friend. The very same Dan that taught my brother how to keep bees, and the very same Dan that showed us his boat building project back when I was a kid. It was exactly the kick in the pants that I needed. Universe, I hear you, loud and clear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karen!
    I knew the J. N.Carter just prior to her time in New Haven. I started a search today and saw your post. We are headed up to the Chesapeake in a couple of days and may trip over some old photos.
    I did some maintenance work and cruising on the Carter in the seventies. My only connection with Schooner Inc. was through our friend John Hoskins.
    Love to hear from you.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul! Karen here, how nice to hear from you. We love coincidences! Got your email, will reply in more detail there.

      Delete