Here you will find tales of voyages past and present on our trusty Pacific Seacraft Dana 24, "Sockdolager," and more recently, our Bigfoot29 powerboat, "Raven," from Port Townsend, Washington, USA. In 2009 we sailed north from Puget Sound up the west coast of Vancouver Island to the Queen Charlotte Islands (now called Haida Gwaii.) In 2010 we went back to the west coast of Vancouver Island. In July 2011 we left the Northwest, sailed to Mexico, and in March 2012 we crossed the Pacific to French Polynesia, then on to the Cooks, Niue and Tonga. We spent several months in New Zealand, and in May 2013 loaded the boat (and ourselves) on a container ship for San Francisco. In June and July 2013 we sailed north along the California, Oregon and Washington coasts, and in August we arrived home. In October 2016 Sockdolager found new owners, and we are now enjoying Raven, a unique wooden 29' powerboat. In 2018 we cruised up to Glacier Bay, Alaska, and back. We hope you enjoy reading about our adventures as much as we enjoy having them. (And there will be more.)

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

The Home Stretch

Neah Bay. The northwesternmost outpost in the Lower 48. A good passage this time. After a gentle but fast 32-hour trip in which the sense of being in a night tunnel was amplified by wafts of fog lit eerily by the navigation lights, Cape Flattery materialized late this morning as a smear on the horizon, a dark presence hinting of cliffs and the edge of a continent. The outline of Tatoosh Island solidified, and soon the tide swept us past that and into the Strait of Juan de Fuca.

Last night I was feeling nostalgic on my midnight to four watch, thinking about people and places--especially about our Kiwi friends Alison and Stuart. Alison has been ill lately. Suddenly an overpowering smell surrounded us, like a warm wind blowing over strong fish and, well, something else: unmistakably whale breath. Then, right next to us, an enormous exhalation, the workings of its lungs clearly audible. More breaths. A pod of whales in the night, me unafraid but hoping they'd avoid our hull, which they did.

A light westerly sprang up in the morning to blow us home, and as we entered the Strait, a patch of sky cleared and the sun came out. We have left the pelicans behind and are again among eagles.

An email message from Stuart awaited us: Alison passed away last night. I will miss her friendship, wonderfully acerbic wit and sharp mind, and our thoughts and sympathies turn to Stuart. Godspeed, friends.

Tomorrow at first light we'll head east toward Port Angeles, about 50 miles away, and then we'll be only a day's sail from Port Townsend and our sweet homecoming. More will follow.

Sent from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. It must be exciting to be getting so close to home. Thanks for taking the time and sharing your writing talents to keep us up to date with your adventures.
    Fair Winds Forever!
    San Diego Stu